Faulty Lighting Fixture May Be To Blame For Change House Fire

Faulty Lighting Fixture May Be To Blame For Change House Fire

Preliminary investigation by a Fire Inspector indicates a possible fault in a lighting fixture in the mine tunnel display as the cause of yesterday’s fire inside the Kennedy Mine Change House.   Yesterday afternoon around 1 pm a fire heavily damaged the Kennedy Mine Museum (Change House).   Even though fire crews were able to knock down the heat and smoke quickly, preliminary inspection indicates the brick and wood structure of the building is intact but heavily coated with soot and char.  PG&E was called in and shut off power to that section of the Mine property and a generator was brought in and connected to the Archive Records building, kitchen / restroom building and mine administration building until the area can be thoroughly inspected.   All the surviving content of the Museum building is coated with soot and will need extensive cleaning.  ServPro has been called in to begin the first steps to remove debris before the heavy cleaning starts.   The Kennedy Mine Foundation is going to incur very heavy costs to reconstruct and rehab the interior and possibly reinforce the building.   Do to the age of the building (1929), no insurance coverage was possible.  While no formal fund raising efforts have begun, you can visit the Kennedy Mine Foundation website to make a donation to help with the clean-up and repair work and for status updates on the property.

 

Written by This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Additional information